Our expert conveyancing solicitors will get you moving with the minimum of hassle.
If you are in the process of buying, selling or remortgaging your home in or around Sheffield, then our expert team of conveyancing solicitors are available to offer all the advice and support you need.
Buying or selling your home is exciting, but the process can come with plenty of added stress if the process does not go ahead as smoothly as you would like. Finding a conveyancing solicitor you trust to get the job done swiftly and cost-effectively can make a huge difference and allow you to focus on your upcoming move.
At Bird & Co, we can provide tailored conveyancing advice to individuals, couples and families, no matter what their respective circumstances are. Whether you are a first-time buyer or are looking to downsize for retirement, our team will be on hand to provide you with the advice you need.
We offer a fast, reliable and efficient online conveyancing service, with a personal touch. We assist clients from across Sheffield and the surrounding South Yorkshire area, including Sheffield City Centre, Loxley, Brinsley, Tinsley and Broomhill.
How our conveyancing solicitors in Sheffield can help you
We have a team of fully qualified, specialist conveyancing solicitors, who have a wealth of combined experience in helping people up and down the country to move homes. Our expertise includes:
- Buying and selling your home
- Advice for first time buyers, such as:
- Equity release
- Advice about buying as joint tenants or tenants in common
- Buying and selling listed property
- Buying and selling leasehold property
- Collective enfranchisement and buying the freehold of a house
- Lease extension
- Transfer of equity
- Gifting property and Deeds of Gift
- Buy to let conveyancing
- Buying and selling land
- Commercial conveyancing
- Stamp Duty advice
We are also on the panel for most lenders, both major and small, so whether you want to use your local building society or a larger company, we will have you covered.
Why Choose Bird & Co’s Conveyancing Solicitors in Sheffield?
We have specialist expertise in online conveyancing, meaning we are able to conduct your property transaction completely online. There will be no need to come and visit us at our offices.
Our service is modern, friendly and efficient. If you want to work alongside fully qualified lawyers for your transaction, then our team will be on hand to give you all the support you need.
You will always have a direct line of correspondence with your legal team, as well as a direct email address for the lawyer who will handle your conveyancing. Whether you have a specific query about property searches in Sheffield, or are looking for more general advice, you can be sure that you will always be able to reach the right people.
We are proud to be a Law Society Conveyancing Quality Scheme accredited firm. This means that you can trust us to:
- Provide high quality legal advice
- Get your conveyancing transaction completed as quickly and smoothly as possible
- Provide top quality customer service and respond to queries quickly and efficiently
- Keep you regularly updated and never leave you in the dark
- Be upfront and honest about your fees – we will provide you with an accurate quote before you instruct us so that you can decide whether we are right for you
We are also Lexcel accredited by the Law Society. This means that we are dedicated to providing high levels of customer service and ensuring your needs are always taken care of. Lexcel is awarded to firms that demonstrate the best standards of client care and legal practice management.
Why instruct our online conveyancers instead of a conveyancer in Sheffield?
There are numerous benefits to instructing a firm that has specialist expertise in online conveyancing:
- Our property lawyers are nationally recognised experts. We not only have experience in the local market in Sheffield, but we also have an in-depth knowledge of the national property market, giving us an edge over firms who only deal with local transactions
- Our online systems have been developed with sensitive communications in mind - All of the confidential legal documentation involved in a property transaction can be sent and received online with no risk to you. This involves encrypting emails, securely configuring our devices and systems and putting malware protection in place.
- We can get your conveyancing done quickly and efficiently - There is no need to wait for your documents to be hand delivered or posted. The entire conveyancing transaction can be completed from home.
- Online conveyancing tends to be more cost-effective - Visiting a conveyancer in person, as well as printing and posting documentation, can come at a price. The vast majority of our services can be conducted online, saving you money without compromising the level of service you receive.
- We have dealt with property transactions from around the country, even for clients who are on the other side of the world. We frequently use video conferencing to talk to clients from outside the UK.
- Our legal obligations to you remain the same as if we were meeting in person. The conveyancing process is exactly the same and we are fully insured just in case.
Our conveyancing fees – how much does our conveyancing cost in Sheffield?
We offer a range of flexible, affordable fees for conveyancing in Sheffield. In straightforward cases, we are able to offer fixed fees, which will be presented to you at the beginning of your transaction. We will never exceed a quote without consulting you and explaining what work needs to be done.
In addition to our legal fees, there are other costs – referred to as disbursements. These can range from conveyancing searches or registering transactions at HM Land Registry. For your benefit, these costs will be broken down in your initial quote, so there won’t be any surprises.
It is sometimes the case that buying or selling a home will incur tax, such as Stamp Duty Land Tax or Capital Gains Tax. If this is the case, we can help you calculate how much tax is due and file the tax return with HMRC.
How does the conveyancing process work in Sheffield?
There are three main stages of buying or selling a home:
- Offer and acceptance
- Exchange of contracts
As soon as an offer is accepted on a home, it means that the buyer and seller intend to enter into a legal contract. At this stage, the conveyancing transaction is not legally binding and it is still possible for either side to pull out for a number of reasons – including gazumping, where a seller agrees to a higher offer having already accepted another offer.
If a buyer’s offer is accepted, they should seek out all the information they need about the property. This could include:
- Reviewing property information provided by the seller and making enquiries if necessary (done by the conveyancing solicitor)
- Conducting conveyancing property searches, such as local authority searches (done by the conveyancing solicitor)
- Carrying out an independent survey (done by the buyer)
At this stage, the buyer also needs to obtain a mortgage (if they need one).
As soon as the buyer is happy with the checks they have carried out, they can exchange contracts with the seller and pay the deposit. At this stage, the property transaction is legally binding, and it is not possible for either party to pull out without incurring penalties – unless they are able to provide a very good reason.
Completion is when the sale and purchase is deemed official. This could occur on the same day as exchange or at a later date, depending on what is convenient for both parties. A transfer deed will be submitted to HM Land Registry to register the buyer’s ownership and to pay any Stamp Duty. The seller must vacate the property on the completion date.
How long does conveyancing take in Sheffield?
If everything goes ahead without any complications, the conveyancing process is likely to take around 12-14 weeks, starting from the date an offer is accepted and conveyancing solicitors are instructed.
Unfortunately, not every property transaction is straightforward, and issues can arise, such as delays with other transactions in the property chain, or if a search reveals an unexpected problem.
Your conveyancing solicitor will work with you closely to provide tailored advice about how long your transaction is likely to take.
What searches are involved in conveyancing in Sheffield?
Conveyancing searches are enquiries undertaken by your conveyancer to check if there any problems with the property that need to be addressed. There are three main types of searches:
- Local authority checks – to check the surrounding area for planning, pollution, highway, pollution or other related issues
- Environmental searches – to check for issues such as flooding or land contamination
- Water and drainage searches – to check matters such as water and drainage access
It may be necessary to conduct further searches, depending on where your property is located. Your conveyancing solicitor will inform you if this is the case.
How do you instruct our conveyancing solicitors in Sheffield?
Our conveyancing experts will then guide you through the initial stages and, once your conveyancing file is opened, your Sheffield conveyancer and their team will deal with all of the legal details involved in your transaction. You’ll be provided with direct contact details and they’ll be sure to keep you updated every step of the way.
Whether you’re moving to or from Sheffield our conveyancing team will be on hand to lend their expertise with minimal fuss.