Our expert conveyancing solicitors will get you moving with the minimum of hassle.
Conveyancing Solicitors in Merton
If you are buying, selling or remortgaging a home in Merton, you will need to advice and guidance of dedicated conveyancing solicitors to make sure your transaction goes ahead as smoothly as possible.
Moving home is an exciting, but there are always likely to be a number of twists and turns on the horizon which have the potential to derail the transaction. That’s where our experienced conveyancing solicitors will be on hand to help.
At Bird & Co, we provide a reliable conveyancing service to guide you through your transaction from start to finish. We work to make the conveyancing process as straightforward as possible and will answer any potential questions you have about your case.
We are also able to offer a fast and convenient online conveyancing service, which makes the process even more straightforward. This also allows us to reach a wide pool of clients across the London Borough of Merton including Wimbledon, Mitcham and Morden.
How our conveyancing solicitors in Merton can help you
Our expert conveyancing solicitors in the London Borough of Merton have a range of expertise in various conveyancing matters, including:
- Buying and selling your home
- Advice for first time buyers, such as:
- Equity release
- Advice about buying as joint tenants or tenants in common
- Buying and selling listed property
- Buying and selling leasehold property
- Collective enfranchisement and buying the freehold of a house
- Lease extension
- Transfer of equity
- Gifting property and Deeds of Gift
- Buy to let conveyancing
- Buying and selling land
- Commercial conveyancing
- Stamp Duty advice
We are on the panel for most lenders. This provides assurance that we can support your transaction, whether you are working with a national form or a local building society near Merton.
Why Choose Bird & Co’s Conveyancing Solicitors in Merton?
At Bird & Co, we specialise in online conveyancing. This means that we can guide you through your transaction remotely. There is no need for you to have to visit our physical offices, unless you would like to, of course.
We provide a modern and efficient conveyancing service which has been designed to make the entire process as straightforward as possible. We always make sure to keep you up to date with the progress of your case, so you know exactly where you stand.
When you work with us, you will have the benefit of a direct line of correspondence with our team, as well as a direct email address for the solicitor handling your case. If you have a question, you will always know where you can find an answer.
As a firm, we are accredited by the Law Society Conveyancing Quality Scheme. This means we will:
- Provide high quality legal advice
- Get your conveyancing transaction completed as efficiently as possible
- Provide top quality customer service and respond to queries quickly
- Keep you regularly updated and never leave you in the dark about the status of your transaction
- Be upfront and honest about your fees – we will provide you with an accurate quote before you instruct us so that you can decide whether we are right for you
We are also proud to be Lexcel accredited by the Law Society. Lexcel is awarded to firms which demonstrate the highest levels of customer service and practice management.
Why instruct our online conveyancers instead of a conveyancer in Merton?
There are a number of benefits to instructing one of our online conveyancers, including:
- Our property lawyers have in-depth knowledge of the national property market, as well as the local Merton market. Many other firms only deal with local transactions.
- Our online systems have been developed with sensitive communication in mind. When our clients use our online systems, we make sure they are protected by using secure procedures such as encrypting emails and malware protection.
- We can get your conveyancing done quickly and efficiently. The entire conveyancing process can be completed remotely, reducing the number of potential delays.
- Online conveyancing tends to be more cost-effective. You do not have to worry about having to fork out for some of the additional costs associated with traditional conveyancing.
- We have previously dealt with transactions around the country, even for clients on the other side of the world. We frequently stay in touch with clients who are outside of the UK using video conferencing.
- Our legal obligations to you remain the same as if we were meeting in person. There are no differences to the general conveyancing process and we are fully insured just in case.
Our conveyancing fees – how much does our conveyancing cost in Merton?
Our conveyancing solicitors in Merton can provide a range of flexible fees, including fixed fees for straightforward work. Where additional fees are required to complete your transaction, your solicitor will keep you informed.
Additional costs associated with the conveyancing process are known as disbursements. Examples of disbursements may include registering a property with HM Land Registry or conveyancing searches.
If you are completing a property transaction, you will always need to keep in mind the fact that you might need to pay tax. This could include Stamp Duty Land Tax or Capital Gains Tax. Your conveyancing solicitor can let you know if you owe tax, calculate how much you owe and file the return with HMRC.
How does the conveyancing process work in Merton?
There are three main stages to the conveyancing process that you should be aware of. These are:
- Offer and acceptance
- Exchange of contracts
When an offer is accepted on a property, the buyer and seller agree to enter into a contract to formalise the transaction. The transaction is not considered to be legally binding until these contracts have been signed and exchanged, which opens up to the possibility of either party pulling out – for example, because an offer has been ‘gazumped’.
The buyer will then have the opportunity to work with their conveyancer to carry out various checks on the property. Examples of checks might include:
- Reviewing property information provided by the seller and making further enquiries if necessary (done by the conveyancing solicitor)
- Conducting conveyancing property searches, such as local authority checks (done by the conveyancing solicitor)
- Carrying out an independent survey (done by the buyer)
The buyer will also apply for a mortgage at this stage, if required.
When these checks have been completed, the next step is to formally sign and exchange contracts. The transaction will be legally binding from this point on, which means neither party can pull out without receiving a penalty.
Completion is when the transaction is considered to be official. A transfer deed is submitted to HM Land Registry and the seller is required to leave the property.
How long does conveyancing take in Merton?
Every transaction comes with its own unique challenges, which means it is often difficult to precisely say how long it will take to reach completion. In straightforward cases, it is likely to take between 12-14 weeks, but this can easily be extended if there are delays further along the property chain, or issues are found in conveyancing searches.
If it appears as though your transaction is going to be delayed, your conveyancing solicitor will inform you as soon as possible so they can run you through your potential options.
What searches are involved in conveyancing in Merton?
If you are buying a property in the London Borough of Merton, your conveyancer will complete various searches to make sure that there are no issues which need to be addressed.
The three main types of conveyancing searches are:
- Local authority checks – to check the surrounding area for planning, pollution, highway or other related issues
- Environmental searches – to check for issues such as flooding or land contamination
- Water and drainage searches – to check matters such as water and drainage access
Your conveyancer may carry out some additional checks, but this will depend on the type of property and where it is located.
How do you instruct our conveyancing solicitors in Merton?
Our Merton conveyancing team will be able to run through the initial stages of your conveyancing transaction and, once your file is opened, your conveyancer will take care of all of the legal details related to your transaction.
Whether you are moving to, from, or across Merton, our conveyancing solicitors will be able to lend their expertise.
Get in touch with our conveyancing solicitors in the London Borough of Merton
Used Bird & Co Conveyancing to be my legal team for the purchase of my new home. Victoria W and her team were fantastic throughout, always kept me in the know which was reassuring.Nathan P
Bird & Co have always been extremely efficient and unlike other conveyancing firms are very proactive. Seb & Donna always respond same day and they represent excellent value for money - they come highly recommended.Jake Margiotta