Our expert conveyancing solicitors will get you moving with the minimum of hassle.
If you are buying, selling or remortgaging a home in Portsmouth, our expert conveyancing solicitors can work alongside you to ensure that your transaction goes ahead as smoothly as possible.
Carrying out any sort of property transaction is exciting, but it also comes with plenty of potential risks. Our conveyancing team can help to mitigate those risks, using their combined expertise to guide you through your transaction from start to finish.
At Bird & Co, we are able to offer a straightforward conveyancing service, which is easily accessible for all of our clients. Our team will be able to guide you through the entire conveyancing process and answer any queries you might have about your case.
We offer a fast and efficient online conveyancing service, which means that we can reach a wide pool of clients across Portsmouth and the wider Hampshire area including Cosham, Hilsea and Southsea.
How our conveyancing solicitors in Portsmouth can help you
Our expert conveyancing team in Portsmouth have expertise in a wide range of conveyancing matters, including:
- Buying and selling your home
- Advice for first time buyers, such as:
- Equity release
- Advice about buying as joint tenants or tenants in common
- Buying and selling listed property
- Buying and selling leasehold property
- Collective enfranchisement and buying the freehold of a house
- Lease extension
- Transfer of equity
- Gifting property and Deeds of Gift
- Buy to let conveyancing
- Buying and selling land
- Commercial conveyancing
- Stamp Duty advice
We are on the panel for most major lenders. This means we will be able to support you whether you are using a well-known national firm or a local building society.
Why Choose Bird & Co’s Conveyancing Solicitors in Portsmouth?
We specialise in online conveyancing. This means that we are able to guide you through the conveyancing process remotely, without the need for you to visit us at our physical offices.
The conveyancing service we provide is modern and friendly and is designed to make the process as straightforward as possible.
When you work with us, you will have the benefit of having direct correspondence with our team, as well as a direct email address for the solicitor who is handling your case. If you have any questions, you will always be able to get a quick answer.
We are accredited by the Law Society Conveyancing Quality Scheme. This means that we will:
- Provide high quality legal advice
- Get your conveyancing transaction completed as efficiently as possible
- Provide top quality customer service and respond to queries quickly
- Keep you regularly updated and never leave you in the dark about the status of your transaction
- Be upfront and honest about your fees – we will provide you with an accurate quote before you instruct us so that you can decide whether we are right for you
We are also Lexcel accredited by the Law Society. Lexcel is only awarded to firms which demonstrate the highest levels of customer service and practice management.
Why instruct our online conveyancers instead of a conveyancer in Portsmouth?
There are a number of reasons for instructing our online conveyancers:
- Our property lawyers have in-depth knowledge of the national property market, as well as the local Portsmouth market. Many other firms only deal with local transactions.
- Our online systems have been developed with sensitive communications in mind. We make sure to protect our clients and keep the legal documents involved in conveyancing transactions secure. We do this by carrying out procedures such as encrypting emails, securing our devices and putting malware protection in place.
- We can get your conveyancing done quickly and efficiently. The conveyancing process can be carried out remotely, which means there are few fewer potential delays to worry about.
- Online conveyancing tends to be more cost-effective. There a number of additional costs associated with the traditional conveyancing process, which can be avoided when work is completed digitally.
- We have dealt with property transactions around the country, even for clients who are on the other side of the world. We stay in touch with clients using video conferencing.
- Our legal obligations to you remain the same as if we were meeting in person. There are no differences to the overall conveyancing process and we are fully insured just in case.
Our conveyancing fees – how much does our conveyancing cost in Portsmouth?
We are able to offer a range of flexible for our conveyancing work in Portsmouth, including fixed fees for straightforward work. If additional fees are required to complete your transaction, your solicitor will inform you and talk you through your potential options.
Other costs that are associated with the conveyancing process are called disbursements. Examples of disbursements could include registering the property with HM Land Registry or conveyancing searches.
You may also need to consider how your property transaction will be affected by tax, such as Stamp Duty Land Tax or Capital Gains Tax. Your conveyancer can work with you to clarify whether this is the case, calculate how much is owed and file the return with HMRC.
How does the conveyancing process work in Portsmouth?
There are three main stages to the conveyancing process. These are:
- Offer and acceptance
- Exchange of contracts
When a seller accepts an offer, they will agree to enter into a contract with the buyer. As they have only agreed to enter into a contract and have not yet exchanged signatures, the transaction is not legally binding.
The buyer will then carry out a number of checks on the property. These will be done with the assistance of their conveyancer. Checks could include:
- Reviewing property information provided by the seller and making further enquiries if necessary (done by the conveyancing solicitor)
- Conducting conveyancing property searches, such as local authority checks (done by the conveyancing solicitor)
- Carrying out an independent survey (done by the buyer)
The buyer may also apply for a mortgage at this stage (if necessary).
Once the property checks have been completed and both parties are happy to proceed, contracts will be signed and exchanged. This is a pivotal stage as the transaction will now be legally binding.
Completion is where the transaction is deemed official. A transfer deed will be submitted to HM Land Registry and the seller will need to leave the property.
How long does conveyancing take in Portsmouth?
Every conveyancing transaction is different and the time it takes to reach completion will depend on a number of different factors. That being said, under normal circumstances, straightforward conveyancing work tends to take around 12-14 weeks to reach completion.
Delays further along the property chain are sometimes unavoidable, which means that your own conveyancing transaction will take longer to complete. If this is the case, then your solicitor will carefully talk you through your options.
What searches are involved in conveyancing in Portsmouth?
If you are buying a property, then your conveyancer will need to carry out a number of checks to ensure that there are no issues that need addressing.
The three main types of conveyancing searches are:
- Local authority checks – to check the surrounding area for planning, pollution, highway, pollution or other related issues
- Environmental searches – to check for issues such as flooding or land contamination
- Water and drainage searches – to check matters such as water and drainage access
Further checks might be needed, depending on the type of property in question and where it is situated. If this is the case, your solicitor will keep you informed.
How do you instruct our conveyancing solicitors in Portsmouth?
Our Portsmouth conveyancing team will be able to run through the initial stages of your conveyancing transaction and, once your file is opened, your conveyancer will take care of all of the legal details related to your transaction.
Whether you are moving to, from, or across Portsmouth, our conveyancing solicitors will be able to lend their expertise.
Get in touch with our conveyancing solicitors in Portsmouth
Used Bird & Co Conveyancing to be my legal team for the purchase of my new home. Victoria W and her team were fantastic throughout, always kept me in the know which was reassuring.Nathan P
Bird & Co have always been extremely efficient and unlike other conveyancing firms are very proactive. Seb & Donna always respond same day and they represent excellent value for money - they come highly recommended.Jake Margiotta