Bird & Co. Solicitors Banner Image
Review stars
  • TrustScore 4.8
  • 679 reviews
News and Events

What happens if you are hit by an uninsured or untraceable driver?

  • Posted

Being involved in a road traffic accident is a traumatic experience in itself, but things can be made even more difficult if the responsible party is uninsured or cannot be traced because they failed to stop at the scene of the accident.

You will understandably be concerned about the financial implications of being involved in such an unfortunate incident, including missing out on compensation for damage to your vehicle and personal injury costs. It’s therefore important that you know what steps you need to make to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.

Will my insurance provider cover my compensation entitlement?

This will depend on the type of cover you have. For example, if you have comprehensive vehicle cover, it is likely that you will be able to make a claim for property damage with your insurance provider.

Some insurers also include an ‘uninsured driver promise’. This can protect you from losing your excess and no claims discount if you make a claim for an accident involving an uninsured driver that was not your fault. It is therefore important to check your individual policy terms to see if this applies to you.

However, even if you have comprehensive cover, your insurance provider may not be able to cover for other costs that can emerge from accidents, such as personal injury costs.

Where can I submit a claim?

In most instances, your claim can be brought to the Motor Insurer’s Bureau (MIB). The MIB is a non-profit organisation set up by motor insurers which seeks to compensate victims of accidents caused by uninsured drivers. The MIB can provide compensation for property and vehicle damage and personal injury, regardless of the level of cover you have taken out with your insurance provider.

The MIB can also provide compensation for accidents involving drivers who cannot be traced, but this only applies to personal injury claims. If the third-party vehicle cannot be identified, then you will not be able to pursue a claim for property damage or financial losses.

You will need to fill out a claim form and submit this to the MIB. A separate claim form is required for each claimant even if you were in the same vehicle at the time of the accident.

At Bird & Co, we can help you bring your claim to the MIB, significantly increasing your chances of securing an appropriate level of compensation.

Is there a time limit for claiming compensation?

If you were involved in an accident with an uninsured or untraceable driver and are claiming for personal injury, your claim must be brought to the MIB within 3 years of the date of the accident. If the case involves injury to a child, the three-year time limit does not apply until their 18th birthday.

If the claim is strictly for property or vehicle damage only, you may have longer but we recommend you check with a solicitor as soon as possible.

How much compensation can I expect to receive?

The amount of compensation you can expect to receive when bringing a claim to the MIB will vary depending on your individual circumstances. The total will account for factors such as the level of damage to your vehicle, the severity of your injuries and the type of cover you had in place at the time of your accident.

If the MIB decides that you are entitled to compensation, they will make a final payment to you or a solicitor who is acting on your behalf. This payment is still negotiable and can increase if a case is put forward to suggest that the sum does not accurately cover the damages.

Get expert advice on claiming compensation for road traffic accidents

If you have been involved in an accident with an uninsured or untraceable driver, our expert team will be able to help you bring your case forward and, wherever possible, secure an appropriate level of compensation.

To get in touch, please give us a call, fill in our online enquiry form or visit one of our offices in Grantham, Newark or Lincoln, and we will get in touch shortly.